January 6, 2014

One Step Wonders

To be honest sometimes I'm lazy, and cheap but I think these somewhat negative qualities can often lead to greatness. Health and beauty for example, both can take up a lot of your time and money. I however have a few household items that can work wonders in many areas and I thought I'd share them with you.


 photo (1)

Ginger: Great for digestive health as well as a natural headache remedy. I get headaches often and do not always like to take ibuprofen so I try ginger instead. There are some great ginger teas, I usually go for Yogi's Ginger tea. It is marketed for digestive health  but can also help soothe headaches. I also have ginger supplements that I take when I feel a headache coming on and don't have time for tea. These are a nice alternative if you do not like tea or the taste of ginger.

Coconut oil: Everybody's new favorite oil but it really is amazing. I have a huge jar from Trader Joe's  that I keep in my medicine cabinet. I most often use it on my hair. It can act as a moisturizing mask or in place of other styling products. I just scoop a little in my hand and warm it up so that it dissolves in to an oil I can then easily rub into my hair. Be sure to wash it within a day however because it can leave your hair looking and feeling greasy after some time.

You can also use it as a moisturizer for your skin. I wouldn't use it ever day as it my clog your pores but every so often it can be a nice alternative to lotion.  You can also cook with it. Any time you use butter or another oil you can swap in coconut oil for a healthier and usually tastier option!

Honey: I love honey. I add it to my tea and cereal and sometimes I just eat it by itself! That may seem a little overboard but honey is really good for you. I  buy local honey because its nice to support local vendors and it also helps with my seasonal allergies. The bees pick up all the local pollen and by ingesting the pollen it can help soothe your own reaction to it. I would much rather have a little honey than add another chemical or pill to my day.

Honey is also a natural disinfectant and is great for skin that is prone to break outs. I often add it to my face scrub in order to give it a little boost. Check out Ashley and I's scrub here!

Baking Soda: Another simple wonder baking soda is not just for baking. I keep a little tub in my bathroom and use it both as a face mask and teeth whitener. Just add a little baking soda to your toothbrush or toothpaste and brush as you normally would. It doesn't taste great but it helps keep your smile nice and bright. When I use it on my face I just add water and make it into a thick paste that I then put on. Be sure not to scrub it into your skin. Just leave on for a minute and rinse.

Baking soda and a little vinegar also work wonders on bathroom clogs!


What are some of your natural or quick and easy remedies!?

-K

No comments:

Post a Comment