December 9, 2013

Closet Clean Out

photo 2 (4)
I Love a good clean out; closets, drawers, garages... whatever it may be I love getting rid of the excess.

A couple of weeks ago my mother and I cleaned out her closet. I wanted to share the results as well as some tips to clean and organize your own space.

First you need the time and the energy to see the project through start to finish. When cleaning out a space I always manage to make a huge mess in the process, so keep that in mind as you plan your day. You don't want to get half way through and have to leave and come back to a huge mess later.
You will also need a large clear space to start, I suggest you use your bed as a sorting station, that way all the clothes or items that come out of the closet have a place to go.

photo 1 (4)

Also get two large garbage bags. One for items that can be donated and one for items that you think you can resell.

Now sort through everything! And I mean everything, my mom always tries to get away with "Oh i'll go through that later" Trust me, there is no later. Do it all in one sitting and you will thank yourself later.

When sorting keep in mind how often you wear or use the items. Do they fit? Are they in style? Are they functional, practical? My mom had a lot of great stuff in her closet but if she never wears it and it is shoved in the back it's not doing her any good. Better to have less items that you actually wear than a closet full of things you don't.

Once you are through the sorting process begin to put things back in a way that is functional for you. Not everyone's closet should look the same.

Again I like to set aside two bags; one to donate to places like Goodwill and another one of higher quality more current items to try and resell at Buffalo Exchange or any other resale shop of your choosing.
Good luck and enjoy your beautiful new closet!

photo 3 (4)    photo 4 (3)photo 5 (2)

The Bonus of cleaning out my mom's closet was all of the great finds. Above is a beautiful old clutch she gave to me and my great grandmothers shoes.

-K

2 comments:

  1. Nicely done! I love an organized closet, than you can find everything easily =)
    xx
    http://littlethingsandelephants.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks and yes it makes life so much easier! Ever since I redid my dresser and organized my own closet it takes me half as much time to get ready!

    Also I love the look of your blog and I love elephants!

    -K

    ReplyDelete