March 14, 2014

Happy Pie Day!!


I Love Pie!

I was raised on pie but somehow it wasn't until today that I actually baked one. 

I was in middle school when I first learned about this majestic day, March 14 aka 3.14 I liked math but I loved pie so it was so something I was very much looking forward to. I dreamed of all the glorious pie to be had on this day, just rows and rows of deliciousness, what I got instead was a few small slices. Sad day but I still continue to celebrate despite the initial heartbreak associated with the holiday. 

I love most pies but I am partial to the berry variety. For my first pie ever I decided to make a blackberry raspberry pie.

Note this pie can be made vegan, just take out the eggs, don't use shortening and add in a butter alternative like coconut oil or whatever alternative you prefer! You can also use any berries you like.

Here's what you need 
Pie Crust:

2 1/2 cups of flour
1 teaspoon of salt
3 tablespoons of sugar
1 stick of cold butter cubed
1/4 cup of applesauce*
1 egg slightly beaten
Glass of cold water

*Most pie recipes call for shortening but Ashley and I wanted to use an alternative so we used a quarter cup of applesauce rather that the half cup of shortening most pie recipes would call for. 

First mix the dry ingredients into a food processor than add in the wet. As you pulse the dough add in about a tablespoon of water between pulses. This helps keep the dough from overheating which can be caused by the hot motor of the food processor. Keep pulsing until you have a nice ball of dough. You may need to add more flour as you do not want the mixture to be too sticky when you take it out. 

When it’s ready, take out dough and divide in half. Shape into two discs, wrap in plastic then place in fridge for 30 minutes.

Starting the process 


Filling:
3 cups of berries, I went with 2 cups of blackberries and 1 cup of raspberries
1 cup of sugar, you can add less if berries are already really naturally sweet, your call
1 lemon juiced
3 tablespoons of corn starch

Mix all filling ingredients into a saucepan over medium heat. As the mixture cooks down lower the heat so that the berries simmer for about 30 mins. 

Kira in the kitchen

Yummy berries!! (And it made the house smell great) 


After your dough has rested, take out one disc and roll it out. If you’re using a standard pie tin, 8 inches in diameter than roll out dough to about 9 inches. I just eyeballed this and pinched off excess dough once it was placed in the tin. Pinch or crimp edges of pie and place back into the fridge for 30 mins. By now your berries should be done simmering. While your pie crust chills your berries can cool.

I used a fork to pinch the crust 

Once all nice and rested fill your pie and add the top! This is where your second disc of dough comes in. You can lattice your pie with strips of dough or use cookie cutters like we did. However you do it just have fun and be sure to leave some sort of ventilation for your pie, don't just cover it completely because then it might explode! No, not really but it needs a vent forsure! If you want a shinier pie crust brush top with egg, if you wanna go vegan just skip the egg. 

Pour the filling into the pan 

 Cookie cutter perfect 

Right before it went in

While you’re adding the top preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Place in pie for 25 minutes then rotate your pie and cook for another 30 minutes. Crust should be golden brown. Enjoy!!

Happy Pi Day! 


-K

No comments:

Post a Comment