April 17, 2014

NOLA: MUSIC

As you may have read last week I recently took a trip to New Orleans. I was only there for 6 days but I packed in a lot. Last week I wrote all about the amazing food  NOLA is famous for and this week I'll be featuring the other star of New Orleans; the music!

Rebirth Brass Band killing it at The Maple Leaf

New Orleans is a city that has something to offer every night. Any day of the week can easily turn into a party and it does. NOLA is literally filled with amazing bands. Just walk around and hop into bars and you will find great local music. Another great thing about the music scene in NOLA is that there are huge bands, I'm talking Grammy winning folks that still play smaller local bars for small local prices.

I wasn't able to make it to all the music on my own list but you should definitely hit up a few of these spots on your visit.

Tuesday: Rebirth Brass Band at The Maple Leaf

Wednesday: Treme Brass Band at The Candlelight Lounge

Thursday: Kermit Ruffins at Kermit's Treme Mother- In-Law Lounge
The Soul Rebels at Le Bon Temps Roule

These band usually play these nights but they do play other events and go on tour often so be sure to look them up in advance!

Maison on Frenchmen

Another great way to check out music is to stroll down Frenchmen Street. It offers a few blocks jam packed with great bars and venues. Some with cover some without. You can find some of the big bands playing there that I mentioned above plus local stars and the great unknowns as well. Just pick a spot you like, grab a drink and take a listen. If it's not your style, take your drink to go (open containers are awesome and legal here) and wander into the next spot. Frenchmen also has street musicians, great food, and a really cool art market.


The quality of music out there is insane you really can't go wrong. I was able to see both the Rebirth Brass Band and the Treme Brass Band, both shows were incredibly fun and different from my typical nights out in the bay. I highly recommend them both, The Maple Leaf is an iconic bar with a lot of history and the folks that work at the Candlelight Lounge are amazing. Shout out to Gladys, the most incredible host and the most honest person I've ever met.

Stay tuned next week for my third and final post on NOLA!

Check out our Twitter and Instagram to see other photos from the trip and don't forget to follow!

Great mural on Frenchmen


-K



No comments:

Post a Comment